The History of Camp Char LE Maude

Camp Char Le Maude History

image1

Camp Char Le Maude has been providing youth adventure from the shores of Barton Lake since the late 1940's.  Camp Char Le Maude is named in honor of Charles and Maude Aulms, who donated this beautiful lake front  property in 1948.  


In the late summer and early fall of 1948 Volunteers from Vicksburg ,  including the Rotary Club and community leaders, began construction of a cabin. This cabin included a basement and main floor structure complete with an open hearth stone fireplace.


Since 1948 this cabin has served as a home base to youth outdoor adventure including camping, canoeing, and fishing. It has also served as a meeting location for many groups including Boy Scout Troops, Girl Scout Troops, the Barton Lake Association, and many others.


The Cabin at Camp Char Le Maude has been the gateway to youth adventure for over 70 years!

Camp Char Le Maude Today

image2

The Cabin at Camp Char Le Maude has served youth for 70 years. Today, it is in desperate need of updating and repair.  


In 2017 The Friends of Vicksburg Youth began the planning process to assure Camp Char Le Maude is available to all future generations.


Step 1. 

We replaced the aging and leaking roof. This was completed in the fall of 2017. Funding was made possible by our Sporting Clays Classic fundraiser as well as private donors.


Step 2. 

We assembled a BOD that is 

dedicated to creating a master plan for Camp Char Le Maude that meets the needs of youth not only today, but also tomorrow.


Step 3. 

With the help of additional community volunteers, industry 

professionals, and donors, we will work hard to complete the master plan to assure Camp Char Le Maude remains a gateway to youth outdoor adventure for generations to come.

image3

image4